I’m a highly driven and motivated leader with eight years in the U.S. Marine Corps, looking to use my unique experiences, insight, and advanced education to pursue a career in digital journalism.
Poltics/Defense Reporter, Business Insider (1/2013-Present)
- Pitched, researched, and wrote 40+ stories, 10+ photo slideshows, and 5+ features for Politics and Defense verticals.
- Established and maintained BI Military & Defense Facebook page, increasing engagement and organic growth of 500+ fans in less than one month.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief, The Duffel Blog (5/2012-Present)
- Established and developed a unique, niche digital satirical news publication for military members and veterans, serving 500k+ visitors and 1 million+ pageviews per month.
- Wrote 100+ articles and edited 200+ articles from contributors.
- Established and maintained social media marketing plan (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Tumblr), which now serves over 40,000 followers across all channels.
- Featured in NBC News, USA Today, Business Insider, Stars & Stripes, Military.com, Wired, and the Columbia Journalism Review, along with other local and national media outlets.
Communications Director, Marine Infantry Veterans Foundation (8/2012-1/2013)
- Collaborated with the CEO and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that broadened programmatic reach and impact
- Developed and refined MIVF “core” messages to ensure organizational consistency and oversaw response to inquiries about MIVF.
- Identified significant media and public policy issues that could be leveraged to support MIVF work, and created and implemented plans to exploit them
- Served as executive editor of MIVF website and social media properties, resulting in 325% increase in fan base thus far.
Social Media & Search Engine Optimization Consultant, Freelance, Lakeland, FL (11/2011-Present)
- Built and optimized websites, graphics, and web copy for most effective positioning on search engine results page (SERP).
- Managed online communities from hundreds to 40k+ fans, & studied insights and analytics to ensure maximum social engagement.
Financial Representative Intern, Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, Lakeland, FL (5/2011-12/2011)
- Sought and actively engaged prospects through personal meetings, email, and telephone contacts.
- Scheduled and conducted 4-5 meetings/week with clients to discuss current financial plans, present Needs Analysis, and offer detailed recommendations.
- Led 5-person team as Intern Team Captain, maintained a schedule, tracked progress of goals and open cases, and reviewed plans with existing clientele.
Card Specialist, nFinanSe, Tampa, FL (11/2010-5/2011)
- Provided knowledgeable and consistent assistance on inbound customer calls, resulting in 96% overall Call Quality Review (CQR).
- Tracked open issues and escalated to management for swift resolution, when necessary.
- Developed a system to enhance real-time Compliance/Anti-Money Laundering protocols for all card specialists.
Video & Social Media Development, CrossFit, Inc. (6/2008-9/2009)
- Captured and edited video and short films for use on CrossFit.com and the CrossFit Journal.
- Developed and implemented social media strategy (Blog/Twitter), CrossFit Games 2009.
- Captured photo and video as a camera operator on CrossFit Media Team, CrossFit Games 2008.
Supervisor, U.S. Marine Corps, Kaneohe Bay, HI, Camp Pendleton, CA, Okinawa, Japan (3/2003-6/2010)
- Responsible for the safety and well being of diverse groups ranging from 6 to 100 personnel. Kept strict accountability of all equipment and vehicles.
- Squad Leader and Vehicle Driver on over 100 combat patrols during 7-month deployment to Afghanistan.
- As a Marine Combat Instructor, lead and mentored over 2000 junior Marines in infantry tactics, squad and platoon-level movement, and team building.
- Tracked and maintained a Microsoft Access Database of annual training requirements, schools, and operations for over 1000 Marines.
- Served as lead instructor for over 300 Marines in formal classes on suicide prevention.
M.A. Digital Journalism, The University of South Florida-St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, FL (1/2013-Present)
B.S. Business Entrepreneurship, The University of Tampa, Tampa, FL (8/2010-12/2012)
- Graduated with Honors Program Distinction
- Expert-level in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Expert-level in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Florida 2-15 Life, Health & Annuity Licensed
- DoD Secret Security Clearance
- Certified Formal Instructor with strong public speaking
Honors & Awards
- Meritorious Mast Award, for outstanding performance, 2003
- Corporals Leadership Course “Gung-Ho” Award, 2005
- Letter of Appreciation, 2005, 2007
- Certificate of Commendation, for recognition as “Instructor of the Cycle”, 2008
- Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal, for exceptional performance of duty, 2009
- “Power of 10” Award, Northwestern Mutual, 2011